Owner Builder Insurance
Construction Insurance should be in place for the duration of your Owner Builder project – it’s one of the core items to budget for in planning your project. You can use our online tool below to obtain an estimated insurance premium – once you register for our course, you will be entitled to a discount of up to 10% off the estimated premium that will be displayed below.
Why do I need Owner Builder Insurance?
Ask any licensed Builder if they have Public Liability and Contract Works insurance, and you can be certain they will say “yes”. Owner-Builders however routinely go without insurance. Why?
- They are completely unaware that they will face the exact same risks as a licensed builder
- They incorrectly assume that the contractors they engage will have enough insurance coverage
- Some Owner Builders are of the mistaken belief that their existing Home and Contents insurance also extends to cover all and any risks associated with an Owner Builder project*
*Most Home and Contents policies have exclusions against liability arising from construction work, and many policies also become either seriously compromised or completely invalidated during a construction project. Owner-Builder insurance provides options that address all of these deficiencies.
What insurance do I need?
As an Owner Builder, you will generally be the person who is held responsible for any damage caused to anyone else's property, but even more importantly, for any injury caused to a third party.
Serious, or even permanent, injuries can occur on even the smallest projects.
The following insurance types should be considered, and will automatically be included in your quote, where applicable:
- Contract Works and Public Liability Insurance
- Voluntary Workers Insurance
- Workers Compensation
- Existing Structures Cover
- Tools and Equipment
Australian Owner Builder Centre is a referrer of insurance products, and does not provide advice in relation to the insurance that you may need. We may be paid a commission in some circumstances for referring our students to certain insurance providers.